A personal statement:
“I am very fortunate. After being a CEO for over 20 years, I now get to help others who run companies become better leaders and enjoy more satisfying lives. I am committed to helping San Luis Obispo County’s business community be as vibrant and successful as it can be. I want the local business community to be able to provide long-term stable employment so the people who grow up in this area can remain here and raise their own families. And personally, I’d love to see my own grandchildren grow up in this area.” –Ed Cox
Founder and Leader, The Tree House Group, 2009 to Present
- Leads a group of San Luis Obispo County independent professionals who meet monthly to help each other solve issues and uncover opportunities.
Private Business Coach
- Works one-to-one with a small number of motivated business leaders who are committed to using their strengths to empower their organizations to be more effective.
Group Chair and Executive Coach, 2004 to 2014 (Vistage International)
Lead groups of company owners and their key executives who met in small groups to help each other solve issues and uncover opportunities via:
- Group meetings,
- One-to-one coaching,
- Expert speaker workshops,
- Access to the worldwide resource network of best practices and 15,000 fellow members.
Partner, Doud Hausner & Associates, Glendale, California 1999-2005
Provided consulting services to family firms in transition from one generation to the next.
Coached “next generation” executives to become effective leaders.
Served over 100 leaders of businesses in a wide range of industries across the US and in Canada.
Companies ranged in size from startups to over $1 billion in sales.
Owner and CEO, Cox Consumer Research, Upland California.
Provided customer satisfaction data to the automobile industry: insurance companies, auto dealers, and collision repair chains. 2000-2004
President and CEO, Phillips Graduate Institute, Encino, California, 1981 to 1999.
Phillips offers masters and doctoral degrees in family therapy, school counseling, and organizational psychology.
Led the initial accreditation process in 1983, built a new campus, and led the reaffirmation of accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges for 19 years.
Practiced family therapy from 1976-2004, specialized in families who own businesses together.
Business Manager, Phillips Graduate Institute (then called California Family Study Center), North Hollywood; Burbank, CA 1974 to 1981
Territory Manager, Shell Oil Company, Oakland, California 1970-1973
- BA, Economics, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), 1967
- MA, Social Science, Azusa Pacific University, 1976
- Ph. D. Social Science (Sociology), University of Southern California (USC), 1982
- Post Degree Business Education: Certificate in Management: The Anderson School, UCLA, 1997
- United States Army, Artillery officer. Awarded Army Commendation Medal, 1967 to 1969.
- Business Person of the Year, Encino, CA, USA Chamber of Commerce, 2000
- Vistage “Rookie of the Year” ; Vistage Chair Excellence Award, 2005
- Economic Vitality Corporation, San Luis Obispo, CA – Silver Sponsor
- San Luis Obispo, CA, Chamber of Commerce – Economic Development Committee
- Leadership San Luis Obispo, CA, Class XVI
- Family Firm Institute, Boston, MA – Former Board Member
- Phillips Graduate Institute, Encino, CA – Board of Trustees
- Ed lives in Arroyo Grande, California, USA with his wife Susan. They have three grown children and six grandchildren.